Chuckleberry Sustainable Community
& Education Society Hosts
Workshops on Sustainable Living
with Small Footprint High Yield Gardening Intensives
May 20th & June 3rd
Chuckleberry Community Farm is a local year-round commercial producer of Certified Organic microgreens. Chuckleberry is pleased to share their discoveries of how to live a more wholesome, eco-friendly & sustainable life through two upcoming all-day gardening intensives.
Chuckleberry Farm has expanded its microgreen production from the Kootenays over into the Okanagan and beyond. The farm’s continuous expansion is because of inspired rigorous experimentation of both their growing practices and the community teamwork behind it all. Following up on last year’s three successful gardening workshops they are offering two — all-day, gardening intensives to help gardeners of all levels kick off the spring with inspiration and education for successful gardening practices to create your best gardens ever!
Participants will go home with a wealth of knowledge and experience, as well as, complimentary sturdy garden starts.
Creating a Successful 4-Season Garden — Sunday May_20th
Learn how to:
- Build insulated raised bed hoop houses for season extension
- Use effective hands-on transplanting techniques
- Create soil from local recourses
- Do green manure cropping
- Implement Bokashi composting
- Grow year-round microgreens
Participate in an interactive garden tour
Small Footprint, High Yield Gardening — Sunday June 3rd
Learn how to:
- Grow squash in straw while generating nutrient dense soil
- Produce higher yield with a smaller foot print by gardening vertically
- Successfully transplant with large healthy starts
- Do high speed composting
- Grow year-round microgreens
Participate in an Interactive garden tour
Each workshop includes a: homemade organic lunch and strong garden starts to take home. Workshops run from:10-4pm $75. For more information and to register call Jon at (250) 359-6669
Chuckleberry Sustainable Community Education Society
We’re excited to announce the itinerary of the August 4-6 Workshop: Sustainable Living and Community!
August 4 – 6 at Chuckleberry Community Farm
- Welcome and weekend overview
- Introduction to and practice of non-violent communication and emotionally intelligent community relating
Saturday 8 a.m.: 45-minute yoga and/or meditation practice, followed by breakfast
10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Year-round microgreens
- Why grow microgreens? Research on this superfood
- Setting up a grow system apparatus
- Sourcing and testing seeds
- Soaking, timing, Bokashi use, warmth, drainage
- How to grow them: soil, prepping trays, spreading seeds, monitoring, incubating, and watering
- Troubleshooting and checking for mold
- Harvesting, storage, Bokashi composting, and soil management
1:30 p.m. – 4 p.m.: Intro to off-grid systems
- Learn about our Annualized Geo-solar System, and its benefits
- Solar hot water for shower and hot tub
- Refrigerating using Earth and differential thermostat
- Rain water catchment and solar pump to water gardens
Sunday 8 a.m.: 45-minute yoga and/or meditation practice, followed by breakfast
10 a.m – 12:30 p.m.: Successful intensive gardening
- 4-season gardening practices
- High yields via double cropping
- Growing great garlic
- Home made Bokashi and speed composting
1:30 p.m. – 4 p.m.: Facility and gardens tour
- Q & A tour of the farm
- Emotional intelligence and non-violent communication integration exercise and practice
- Wrap-up and takeaways
We are offering several spectacular workshops this summer!
Join us at Chuckleberry Farm Community Farm for an experiential workshop on 4-season gardening, for only $65, on Sunday May 21st 10AM-4PM.
Highlights of the day include:
Building a raised garden bed hoop house
Creating nutrient dense soil
4-season successive crop planning
Interactive garden tour with passionate-about-agriculture Chuckleberrians
We look forward to being an inspiration on your path to create food security right in your own backyard!
RSVP here: http://chuckleberrycommunity.ca/event/4-season-gardening-workshop/
Have you had an amazing experience at Chuckleberry Community Farm? We would love to have your feedback to share with others on our new website! Please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. ?
We are pleased to be partnering with Kootenay Co-op for one week, starting March 24th, for a fabulous Spring Microgreen Special! Our delicious and nutritious Sunflower, Pea and Daikon shoots will be on special for just $1.99!
The nutritional benefits of fresh microgreens are today commonly known as an unrivaled, nutritious Superfood. Chuckleberry Community Farm believes in knowing where our food comes from! All Chuckleberry products are locally produced, chemical free and non-GMO, gluten-free, peanut-free, nut & seed-free and vegan. Our shoots are live, enzyme and chlorophyll rich, easily digested and enjoyed by young and old alike.
· Chuckleberry Microgreens are enjoyed right out of the bag, in a child’s lunch box, as a tasty and healthy snack.
· Sensational in a sandwich for a sweet, tender and delicious crunch.
· Perfect in salads and any other veggie or savory dish.
· Blend shoots into Smoothies to optimize flavour, colour, texture and nutritional benefits.
♥ How do you enjoy our Microgreens? We would love to hear from you and add your recipes to our page!!
We put a lot of heart into what we grow and nature does an outstanding job with the rest!
Sunflower Sprout Smoothie
1 apple, cored and rough chopped
1 bag sunflower shoots
1 cup baby spinach
1 tablespoon hemp or chia seeds (optional)
1/2 lemon, juiced
1. Combine ingredients in a high-powered blender with cold water and blend until smooth. Can store in the refrigerator up to 24 hours.